Thursday 5 January 2012

A New Start to Low Carb!

So, TODAY is the day I start my Low Carbing again! I decided the blog needed a bit of a revamp! I have tidied up a lot of the 2011 links along the right hand side, all in place for the 2012 diet, I have also changed the template so that the columns are a bit wider which means less scrolling for the readers. ;)I thought I would look up some new, easy recipes to try this year so that I don't find myself getting bored of the same foods! After a quick look on the interweb I found a few new ones to try...I am liking this recipes for pancakes/crepes:
Crepes
These crepes are virtually carb free and are very easy to make.

Ingredients
200 Grams of ricotta cheese
3 eggs
I teaspoon of cinnamon
A splash of milk


Method
Mix the cheese, eggs and cinnamon into a small mixing bowl. Add a slash of milk if the mix is to thick to run freely. Place a small knob of butter into a frying pan, I use a small omelette pan 8". Heat the butter and spoon in 3 table spoons of mix. Fry until firm then turn over and cook for one minute or until the crepe is starting to brown. This mix makes between 6 and 8 crepes. Allow to cool and fill with cream cheese and finely chopped spring onions or smoked salmon and asparagus tips, whatever you like. Roll up the crepe and enjoy. Great at any time and very good for the lunch box or picnics. Also great warmed up with a scoop of low carb ice cream and double cream.

I think the crepes would be lush with cream cheese! Mmmm!I have also found another alternative cauliflower cheese recipe, the one I normally use is quite eggy, so I might give this one a go at some point!


Cauliflower Cheese
The cauliflower is a wondrous thing indeed. Sadly, no soaring poetic eulogies to this low carb foot soldier were available at the time of going to press. Instead, let this recipe for cauliflower cheese raise your spirits but not your blood sugar. Honestly, I could happily eat just this for dinner.


Ingredients 
1 cauliflower, broken into bite sized florets 
140ml double cream 
125g mature cheddar cheese 
1-2 tea spoons dijon mustard 
1 large free range egg 
salt & pepper 


Steam the cauliflower (in a colander over a pan of boiling water) until a fork passes easily through the stems. Remove to a baking dish and discard the water.Pour the cream, cheese (reserve some to sprinkle over the dish) and mustard into the pan over a medium heat and stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg. Now pour the mixture over the cauliflower and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake in a fan oven at 170 until the cauliflower is golden brown (30-35 minutes).Now compose an ode to the cauliflower.

I am liking the sound of this swede rosti too, at only 3g carbs per rosti :)

Swede Rosti
Cut a swede into large chunks or strips and put through a food processor fitted with a fine slicing blade. Or grate with a coarse cheese grater. Put the sliced raw swede into a mixing bowl and add some olive oil and three egg yolks per medium sliced swede. Mix well with a spoon and place a handful of mix into a steel ring. I use one 3.5" dia.x 2" deep. Get a cup or glass and compress the mix until firm within the ring, remove the ring. Rosti will be around an inch thick. Make up more until you have used all your mix. You can then fry them straight away in oil or butter or store them in a fridge. Carbs. around three per rosti or 100 grams.

I'm finding loads of nice sounding recipes now!! :D

Chicken Stroganoff
Ingredients
Skinless boneless chicken breasts ( one per person ) 
1 large onion 
100 grams of chestnut mushrooms 
50 grams of butter 
A small cauliflower 
A quarter pint of chicken stock, 
salt and pepper. 
A small pot of sour cream 
Lots of paprika pepper. 


Cut the chicken into thin slices, half mushrooms through the stalk. Melt the butter and gently fry the chicken for 5 minutes, or until they have lost their pinkness. Lift out with a slotted spoon. Add the chopped onion and fry for about 8 minutes. Add mushrooms and fry for two minutes. Return the chicken with the stock. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 5 minutes. Season, stir in cream and simmer for 5 minutes.Serve onto a bed of finely grated fried cauliflower and add plenty of paprika pepper. 

Of course, the easiest thing to cook to accompany some meat or fish would be roasted vegetables! I guess I could cut a load up and freeze some to cook another day! :)

Roast Vegetables
Roughly chop the vegetables. add plenty of extra virgin olive oil and pepper, a little salt and dried mixed herbs. Bake for about an hour at gas mark five. The trick is to turn every ten minutes or so to stop burning.
Carb counts. Swede 2.3, celery 0.8, mushrooms 0.3, onion fried in oil 14, courgettes 2.6, cherry toms. 5, red pepper 7, green pepper 2.6, yellow pepper 5, brussels 4, All numbers per 100 grams.

I had better say where I got all of these recipes from! Its from a new Low Carb site that I have found: http://lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk/Recipes.htmI might give the crepes a try this weekend! I think normal batter mix can be kept in the fridge? I would if this batter mix could be used for yorkshire puddings? I think the normal pancake and yorkshire batter are made of the same ingredients?

On the tight trousers front, they aren't feeling as tight as they did on Tuesday :) I guess that is from having salad for lunch instead of sandwiches? As well as the lack of bad carb (and high calorie) snack foods. My lasagne evening meals may have been high in carbs, but they still kept me under my maximum calorie count for the day!

See my food diary here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/StephRP80 I have added a link to the food diary on the side of my blog (My food diary 2012) to save linking to it in every post! :)

Tonight's dinner!! Rump steak and salad with half an onion, fried and 4 small mushrooms.





Total carbs for the day = 17g :)

I took a photo of me today and drew an outline around my body shape in Photoshop then went over last year's photos to see what the best match was (bit difficult as my arms legs are never the same distance apart or same angle, but I tried to line up the new outline's waist and hips with the photos!). I found the closest match was April's photo, although today's photo has more rolls around me belly, but that should soon go now I am back Low Carbing and plan to start exercising again tomorrow!


Soooo not looking forward to weighing myself tomorrow :(

2 comments:

  1. Liking the wider post window BS, looks good (less unused screen too).

    Ah man, now I really fancy a steak... and it's not even 9am yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to do it last year but the template I chose wouldn't allow me to change the width of the columns so I created my own template this time :)

    The steak was gooood! I wouldn't normally have had both of them in one meal but the use by date was the 5th Jan and they had gone a bit brown too! :/ I could eat a steak now too! AND I actually could eat one on low carb as they are 0 carbs ;)

    ReplyDelete

Weightloss ticker for 2012

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter