Monday 10 January 2011

Day One

As the first day of my low carb diet begins, I am feeling quite positive that I will hit my goal weight/size by the end of July. I will try and post my daily progress as an incentive to stick to the diet and meet my goal! Basically I am avoiding all the foods that are high in carbohydrates, e.g. Potatoes, bread, rice, pasta and sugary foods. I will mainly eat meat and fresh fruit and veg as well as cheese. I can also have unsalted nuts as a snack.

I'll also keep an honest note of the food I have eaten each day and any exercise (mostly Wii fit I think!) that I do.

Breakfast 6.30am
Cup of PG Tips with Semi Skimmed Milk  (I forgot to put a green tea bag in - must remember tomorrow)
Natural Yoghurt with blueberries* and linseed (flax) seeds**.

*Berries
Blackberries, blueberries, acai berries... what do these fruits have in common? They could all help you to squeeze back into your skinny jeans. Studies have suggested that those wanting to lose their belly fat should opt for fruit that is blue or red in colour (such as cherries, red grapes and many types of berries). In fact, it is the chemicals that are responsible for giving these fruits their colour (anthocyanins) that, according to recent research, also burn abdominal fat.

**Flax seeds
Flax seeds (often referred to as linseeds) are nutritious seeds packed with monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) - which are actually a lot more diet-friendly than they sound. Monounsaturated fats, unlike saturated fats (the "bad" fats found in junk food), not only lower cholesterol levels but they can also help to reduce body fat. Liz Vaccariello, author of The Flat Belly Diet, advocates these healthy fats for those wanting to specifically target belly fat.
Not only will these super seeds tackle love handles, but they are great for those suffering from bloating. Flax seeds provide high levels of fibre and can help to keep the digestive system running smoothly, helping to banish bloating, constipation and other digestive problems. Try adding a tablespoon of freshly ground flax seeds to your morning cereal, lunchtime salad, or homemade smoothie to start enjoying their belly-flattening benefits.

8am Pot of Green Tea

10.45am Snack 
Granny Smith apple

11am Pot of Green Tea

11.45am Snack
3 unsalted Brazil nuts

12.30pm Lunch
Prawn salad (lettuce, cucumber and tomato) with balsamic vinegar. Think the prawns had the 8th or 9th on them as a use by date! - oops!


Prawn salad lunch :)
 and some green grapes.

13.30pm Pot of Green Tea (I do drink a lot of green tea at work!)

After a spot of food shopping after work, I went home and got my Wii fit board out and did 49 minutes on that (it tells you how many minutes you have been working out for). On my first go on the Wii fit in 63 days (it told me that too!) I was quite impressed that I got second places on the Step Plus aerobics exercise (pictured below, the yellow score is the most recent).


Impressive scoring after slacking on the exercise front


My Wii Fit also told me that it's batteries are running low, so I will have to purchase 4 more AA batteries when I go into town tomorrow after work to pick up my specs!!


I had worked up an appetite for a low carb dinner after 49 minutes of exercise (I normally do zero exercise)... so had a look in my fridge and decided to make a form of Spanish omelete with a few bits and bobs from my fridge. It was actually quite tasty! This is what I put in it...


2 eggs
mushrooms
orange pepper (1/4 of)
1 red chilli (I read somewhere that chillies increase your metabolism, so I brought a pack today)
3 small pieces of palma ham
mozzarella (small amount) I like to add cheese to my low carb meals as it helps make me feel more full up
cheddar (small amount)
3 tender-stem  broccoli
a few slices of courgette
dried mixed herbs


and ta da.... here it is in the frying pan:




I'm also on my second mug of green tea since I have been home. So have been quite a good girl today, time to put my feet up and do some more knitting! :)

2 comments:

  1. Good girl Stephie! Try and avoid too much red meat x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am allowed red meat on the low carb diet :) http://www.thecolumn.org/food/low-carbohydrate-foods.asp I always try to pick the leanest meat I can see too.

    ReplyDelete

Weightloss ticker for 2012

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter